If you are planning a trip through southern India, Mysore, officially known as Mysuru, should not be overlooked on your itinerary. Situated in the state of Karnataka, Mysore is a culturally diverse city with a rich & colourful history. And stories of its royal heritage are sure to excite the imagination of any curious traveller.
Best time to travel Mysore
As such, Mysuru is endowed with a pleasant climate throughout the year. The winters are pleasantly cool and the summers are hot. However, the best weather can be experienced during the period from October to March.
If you have already decided on Mysore for your forthcoming holiday tour, here are the most important 6 places to visit in Mysore, to justify your trip to Mysore.
1. One of the best things to do in Mysore is a visit to the Mysore Palace. It was once the seat of power and residence of Mysore’s royal family. Now open to the public to witness the interiors that are just as colourful and beautiful as the exteriors.
2. An extremely popular thing to do in Mysore with the locals is to climb the stairs to the Chamundeshwari temple. There is no other place as important to the Mysureans as Chamundi Hill.
3. Zoological Gardens of Sri Chamarajendra – Commonly known as Mysore Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in the country. It attracts a large number of visitors with its wide variety of flora and fauna.
4. Brindavan Gardens considered one of the best-terraced gardens in the world. Installed on the site of the KRS dam, the garden is famous for its symmetrical design, musical fountains, cascading water channels, to name a few. As the sun sets, the fountains light up and dance to the rhythm of the music, which is an incredible sight. Tourists also enjoy a good boat ride here.
5. St. Philomena’s Church: the huge neo-Gothic church is one of the largest and most majestic churches in India. The incredible floor plan of the church resembles a cross. The twin towers of the 175-foot-tall church are visible from miles away.
6. Shivanasamudra waterfalls- located 85kms away from Mysore is this incredibly beautiful island town that divides the river Cauvery into two falls. Rated among the top 100 waterfalls over the world, these falls offer a spectacular view.
Mysore is famous in the region for many things: high-quality sandalwood, exquisite silk, natural incense, and delicious food. As a result, walking the streets of the city is a show-stopping delight, bursting with colour, aroma, and craftsmanship.
Covering a charming palace, majestic elephants, strengthening local temples and artisans, Mysore transports you to the past, just like watching one of your favourite Disney movies of all time, Aladdin. It’s like a fairy tale come true before your eyes. With this Mysore travel guide, we share our recommendations and experiences to get to know this magical city.